Hyperion in partnership with Lieb Performance Systems (LPS) is actively supporting the canmaking industry to improve and develop the can, tool design, and process to increase line efficiencies and reduce spoilage. We partner with you to create solutions for your can tooling needs through material development, can and tool design, can lightweighting, and plant audits.
We provide support to define the best can and tool design combination for each customer's requirements.
BLANK AND CUP DESIGN
BODYMAKER TOOLING: ASSEMBLY AND DETAILED
TOOLING PROGRESSION AND TOOL CHART
NECKER TOOLING AND PIN HEIGHTS
The canmaking industry is globally challenged to create lightweight cans and improve efficiencies. Hyperion assists can makers in the choice and development of a lightweighting project that:
If “Windows of Runability “are identified and managed, plant efficiency should not be affected by downgauging or machine speed up programs. Here are some examples:
• Cut Edge
Cup Size and Cupper Tool Geometry
B/m Tool Geometry
B/m Toolpack Progression
Dome Profile Design
Cup & Can Handling
Depending on how lightweighting process is achieved, can line performance is strongly affected:
If we do it Wrong:
We create narrow windows of runability
• Leave unnecessary metal in the can
• Increase the risk of B/m tearoffs
• Increase risk of higher neck spoilage
• Increase risk of dome squat causing flange width and neck spoilage issues
• DRP, drop, and axial load issues
• Wrinkled dome issues.
We reduce line performance!
If we do it Right:
We create large windows of runability
• Lighter weight optimized can
• Tearoff rates lower than those prior to light weighting
• Maintain good can specifications for DRP, drop, and axial load
• Maintain dome squat values equal to or better than those before light weighting.
We improve line performance!
Contact your Hyperion sales person for additional canmaker can tooling solutions information.