Diamond Composite Advantages
Hyperion Materials & Technologies manufactures Versirion®, a revolutionary silicon carbide and polycrystalline diamond (PCD) composite with increased wear property and thermal stability. Versirion is made by a state-of-the-art high-pressure high-temperature process and is based on the Versimax® composite developed for wire drawing and wear applications.
Versirion and Versimax exhibit superior wear resistance, high temperature performance, and high strength approaching that of cobalt-sintered PCD, with the addition of superior thermal stability. Versirion exhibits the most superior corrosion resistance.
|Grade||Average Grain Size||Applications|
Average 5 µm
Average 10 µm
Average 20 µm
- Wear applications
- Superior thermal stability compared to that of PCD
- Significantly reduced coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) mismatch
- Thermally stable up to 1400°C, which creates less risk of failures during application
- Easy to process:
- Electrically conductive: EDM processability allows flexibility in cutting various geometries
- Sizes larger than those of unsupported PCD: diameter - 35 mm, height - 35 mm
- Does not require polishing of the bore to achieve the surface finish of the wire
- Ability to be easily brazed or shrink fitted into casing
- Versatility: ferrous and nonferrous wires
- Wear resistance comparable to that of PCD and corrosion resistance slightly better than that of PCD.
Material Propery Test Data
Strength retained after thermal exposure
G-ratio when wet milling granite
Weight loss at grit blasting
Your Hyperion salesperson can offer their expertise in selecting the wire die product best suited to solve your needs.
In addition, Versimax is ideally suited for demanding nozzle wear applications.
*PCD is manufactured from man-made (synthetic) diamond.