Punch Tool Solutions
Type: Bodymaker Punch
Dimensions: as per drawing/requested
Description: Bodymaker punch manufactured to custom dimensions in accordance with agreed solution. Cemented carbide grades and tool designs are tailored to each customer based on individual needs and requirements.
Many canmakers regard the bodymaker punch as the key to performance of the can plant. Hyperion Materials & Technologies manufactures a full range of cemented carbide grades to solve any of your application and working condition can tooling needs.
|Standard Grades||Premium Grades|
||Standard (~14.5 g/cm3)||-15% lighter *|
Sencon Short Can Sensor **
487 PDP 33/53,
487 PDP 03/63,
* New bodymaker set up to be considered when changing from conventional to lightweight grade; for example, this grade provides 0.6 kg weight in 33 cl punches.
** Sencon Short Can Sensor for steel can 267-03.
|Standard Grades||Premium Grades|
|Tool Life||1x Standard (10 ~ 15 million cans/rework)||2x ~ 3x||2x ~ 4x|
Hyperion Materials & Technologies manufacturers a range of standard cemented carbide grades for canmaker tooling.
Cemented carbide grade S385
Grade S385 is a non-magnetic cemented carbide that has extremely high toughness and corrosion resistant properties. Millions of cans can be produced without grade S385 presenting cracks. This material can withstand agressive coolant emulsion conditions.
Cemented carbide grade H12N
Grade H12N is a magnetic material that offers a good balance of toughness and wear resistance for can tooling components. This cemented carbide grade is a powerful solution that can endure millions of cans without cracks. Grade H12N withstands standard coolant emulsion conditions.
Cemented carbide grade S323
Grade S323 is a magnetic cemented carbide that has extremely high toughness and corrosion resistant properties. Millions of cans can be produced without grade S323 presenting cracks. This material can withstand agressive coolant emulsion conditions.
Hyperion also manufacturers two premium cemented carbide grades for canmaker can tooling punch sleeves – DZ18 and DZ10. In addition, Hyperion is continuously developing new tooling materials, including lighter weight carbides and materials with improved resistance to adhesion, abrasion, and corrosion.
Cemented carbide grade DZ10 for punch sleeves:
Grade DZ10 cemented carbide offers outstanding performance compared to that of standard grades. It is used in the manufacturing of aluminum cans.
Advantages of using grade DZ10
- Longer production life between repolishing / crosshatching
- Longer production life between regrinds
- More regrinds are possible as less material needs to be removed
- Total punch production life is about 2 to 3 times that of conventional grades
- Punches maintain surface finish throughout production cycle
- Less stripping problems
- Less wear as a result of enhanced abrasion and corrosion resistance giving.
Cemented carbide grade DZ18 for punch sleeves:
Grade DZ18 cemented carbide is used for canmaking punches. This patented material provides many benefits to the canmaker, including a production increase of 2 to 4 times what standard punch materials produce. It is used in the manufacturing of aluminum cans.
Advantages of using grade DZ18
- 15% lighter punch reduces bodymaker ram drop and improves tool pack alignment*
- Improved sliding properties facilitate stripping of can and reduced tear-off rate
- Longer production life between repolishing, crosshatching, and regrinds
- Total punch production life as much as 2 to 4 times higher than those of conventional grades
- Punch maintains its surface finish throughout production cycle.
Your Hyperion salesperson can offer their expertise in selecting the cemented carbide best suited to solve your canmaker can tooling needs.
*Cemented carbide is also known as solid carbide and tungsten carbide (WC).