Compax® - PCD (carbide supported)
Hyperion Code: Compax®
Wire Material: Various
Description: The polycrystalline diamond (PCD) core is integrally bonded to a cemented tungsten carbide support ring. Grades are available with diamond grain sizes ranging from 3 to 50 micron and with dimensional sizing from D-12 to D-36.
- All blanks contain metal catalyst in PCD structure
- Do not exceed 700°C in die mounting operations
- Electrically conductive: diamond core may be pierced using EDM, laser, ultrasonic, or needle methods
- Profiling of die geometry is normally performed using shaped needles with electrical discharge machining (EDM) or ultrasonic machines with diamond abrasives.
- Diamond micron powder grade SJK-5 or GMM coating series recommended for final die bore shaping and polishing
- For superior polish, use 0.25 μm or 0.5 μm graded diamond fines.
25 μm and 50 μm Grain Sizes
- Intermediate and rod break down drawing of copper, aluminum, and other nonferrous materials.
5 μm and 25 μm Grain Sizes
- Nonferrous and ferrous intermediate and fine wires. Applications where superior surface quality is a must.
3 μm and 5 μm Grain Sizes
- Nonferrous and ferrous wire in finer sizes.
- Critical surface finish applications.
Visit our other Wire Dies pages for additional information.
Your Hyperion sales person can offer their expertise in selecting the wire die product best suited to solve your needs.
*Cemented carbide is also known as solid carbide and tungsten carbide (WC).
*PCD is manufactured from synthetic diamond.